Hi Everyone! I cannot believe it has been a month since my last blog post.
For the past few weeks I have been M.I.A., not by choice, but by necessity. It was time for me to do a digital detox because I needed time to recharge myself before resuming blogging. Before my digital detox I did not know it would turn into an actual digital detox. A digital detox is a period of time to stop using your digital outlets, including by not limited to: social media, internet, phone or any other technology of your choice. The amount of time for your digital detox depends on you. You can set a time or just go with the flow. I decided to set a minimum of two weeks and add more time if needed. Let me tell you it was easier than I thought.
I remember the time before all of this social media. Life was simple. Ha! This fall will mark me being on: Facebook for 10 years, using YouTube for 5 years, Twitter for 2 years, Pinterest for 2 years and blogging for 1 year. Yikes! That is a lot of social media! How long have you been on social media? Social media has its pros and cons like anything else. My main pro is that social media is great for e-networking, especially if you are more introverted and my main con is that social media is too much sometimes. Continue reading
I haven’t made bookmarks in a long time since this bookmark DIY. This has to change. Since I like reading I need to make more bookmarks. The other day I wore my tassel loafers and I was inspired to make many things with tassels. The first thing I decided to make were tassel bookmarks. Currently, I am playing around with some other ideas. When I finish these projects I will share them with you.
- String of your choice like string, yarn, etc
- Fabric (I used some leather and fabric from my stash)
- Glue gun/glue sticks
- Book (use to wrap the string around to create your tassel)
For this DIY project I will show you two ways to make tassel bookmarks. The first way is the easiest and most traditional way to make a tassel bookmark. The second way involves playing around with materials I found around the house. Keep those scraps of fabric. They are perfect for upcycled DIY projects.
How to Make a DIY Tassel Bookmark (2 Methods): Continue reading
I cannot believe we are already in July. Where did the time go? It is getting so hot here and I am counting the days until fall gets here because it is extremely hot. Please hurry up fall. Please. lol Since many of you are planning to go on vacations this summer I wish you well and hope that you have the most amazing time ever. :-)
How to Stay Healthy While on Vacation:
1. Stay Hydrated:
No matter where you travel, staying hydrated is one of the most important things to do. I know when you are on vacation you will want to drink many tropical drinks because they are both beautiful and delicious! But remember don’t forget to drink good ole’ H2O. While you are packing toss an empty water bottle in your suitcase. Fill your water bottle up with water at the airport and take it with you when you go outside. This will help you stay hydrated.
2. Wear Sunscreen:
Another important tip is to wear sunscreen. No matter what your skin type you have to protect it. I cringe every time someone says my skin is doesn’t need sunscreen. All skin needs sunscreen. When you wear sunscreen you protect your skin from sun damage. Your skin is your body’s largest organ and you need to protect it. Make sure you have enough SPF for your skin and follow the instructions on applying your sunscreen regularly. I have sunscreen, but I am still on the hunt to find the perfect sunscreen. I am looking for a natural sunscreen that is good for oily and sensitive skin.
Now that summer is here I’m going to share my summer reading list. Click here to see my spring reading list. Sometimes coming up with seasonal book lists can be a challenge, especially if you like to read. For this summer I decided to pick some books based on recommendations and books that will inspire me. What book will you read this weekend?
My Summer Reading List: Continue reading
Now that spring is coming to an end and summer is officially starting this weekend it is the perfect time for me to share my style inspiration at the moment. If you have followed my blog for some time you may have a little idea of my style. If not check out a few of my style-related post. For the most part I do not wear bright colors. If I go bright or bold I like to add accessories or prints. I don’t know why I am afraid of bright colors. Bright colors are fun! After watching countless episodes of The Mindy Project and New Girl on Netflix during my TV breaks I am inspired to add bright colors to my wardrobe. Both leading ladies wear bright colors well! It looks good on them so why not give bright colors a try! I have talked about adding bright colors into my wardrobe for years. The time is now! Right?
Style Inspiration: Bright Colors for Spring & Summer:
1.Blue: Blue is my all time favorite color. Maybe it is because it is the color of my birthstone. Hmm..To me blue is a color that looks great on everyone. Navy is one of my favorite shades of blue. However it is not the brightest.
How to Amp up Blue: Wear cobalt blue.
2. Yellow: During the spring and summer I see a lot of yellow, especially pale yellows. I don’t really wear yellow, but when I do I like to go for a mustard yellow because it is not as bright. Now that the temperatures are rising I want to take yellow to the next level.
How to Amp up Yellow: Wear really bright yellows such as lemon or neon. (Yikes…I’m not sure about the last one!)
3. Red: If you look in my wardrobe I do not own anything red as far a clothing goes. The only two red things I own are: red lipstick and a red bow belt. Red is bold, and red is a show stopper. I remember hearing someone say: When in doubt wear red. Now, that I am curious about wearing red I want to get a red dress. Most women have a little black dress. Why not a little red one?
How to Amp up Red: Wear intense reds that complement your skin tone such as blue based reds or orange-reds. Get a little red dress.
The other day I was wearing a button down shirt. Button down shirts are my go to when I am not wearing dresses. Two of my favorite accessories for button down shirts are statement necklaces and bow ties. Since I already made a statement necklace (I should make a spring themed one soon) I wanted to make a bow tie. I have a collection of bow ties, but I wanted to make my own. So I looked in my craft box and decided to use some of the fabric I had from an old dress to make my bow tie. If you want to save money on fabric or you like to do upcylcle projects look in your closet to see if you have clothes you do not wear anymore. You never know what you may find.
Let’s get started:
Now, that June is here we know what that means! Father’s Day is coming up. To me fathers are harder to shop for than mothers. What do you think? Every year when I ask my father what he wants he says nothing. My father is pretty much low-key and hard to shop for. Here are some gift ideas that are perfect for any father.
10 Gift Ideas for Father’s Day:
When I started this blog I wanted to share my creative side. Also, I wanted my blog to have a positive and happy atmosphere. In the beginning of the year I wrote a post about how to increase your happiness and productivity. This post is an extension of that post. Here are 7 easy ways to help you live a more positive life.
7 Easy Ways to Live a More Positive Life:
1. Show Gratitude: One of the first things I do when I wake up and before I go to sleep is pray. I want to thank God for waking me up this morning and giving me another day. I want to give thanks for my family, friends and everyone around me. Even though I may have ups and downs in life I want to make sure that I give thanks and show gratitude to the people who are important to me in my life. When you show your gratitude you tend to feel more positive.
2. Be Positive: Remember you have the power to control your attitude, not others. No matter if you are having a bad day you have the choice to be positive. There will be times when you feel horrible and you may want to sulk. That’s okay — sometimes we need this to release our emotions. For example, the other day I was frustrated about a project I was working on that was not going well. After taking time away from the project I realized that being frustrated is not going to help me. At that moment I decided to relax, take a deep breath and think positive thoughts. Sometimes this is what we need to do. Continue reading
dresses, fashion, funny, girlfriends, inspiration, Mindy Kaling, new girl, sitcom, skirts, spring, strong female lead, Style, style inspiration, the mindy project, Topshop, tracee ellis ross, TV shows, TV stars, women, Zooey, zooey deschanel
Spring is my second favorite season. Fall is my first! Now that it actually feels like spring I want to share some spring style inspiration from a few TV ladies. At the moment I am enjoying watching New Girl (Zooey Deschanel), The Mindy Project (Mindy Kaling) and Girlfriends (Tracee Ellis Ross). Each of these shows offer something different with the characters, lifestyle and the style. I think it’s pretty cool when you can find a television show that you can enjoy and get inspired from the style. This is a win-win!